Welcome to the very first post in my brand new Guest Blogger series, which starts today! First up we have Nikki Yazxhi, who has the beauty blog bellamumma.com and is an expert on all things beauty.
She's been the Editor of Girlfriend magazine and was Associate Editor at Cosmo when I was beauty editor and features editor. She now writes for a heap of publications including Body & Soul and Marie Claire, and is an all-round, fabulous person! CocoLee-ites, this is Nikki.
Here, she dishes on how to Get your Skin Glowing - naturally.
When you’re feeling a bit ‘blah’ in the beauty department, try these three (easy) get glowing tips…
1. EXFOLIATE & TREAT
Exfoliate and nourish your skin once a week with these DIY recipes to get skin glowing again…
Gentle hydrating exfoliator: Mix two tablespoons of almond meal with one tablespoon of Manuka honey. Apply to face in small circular motion then rinse off with warm water.
Enzyme peel for all skin types (except sensitive): Using the skin of a papaya flesh side down, rub over face and neck and leave for five minutes then rinse off.
Mask for norm/dry skin: Mash 1/2 an avocado and mix in a tablespoon of full cream natural yoghurt. Apply to face and neck and leave on for five to 10 minutes before rinsing off.
Brown sugar body scrub: Mix a cup of brown sugar with a good quality cold pressed oil (eg olive, almond or macadamia) into a paste, then add six drops of sweet orange essential oil. Apply in the shower - while skin is warm - using large circular movements towards the heart. Rinse off to reveal hydrated and heavenly-smelling skin.
Illuminators re-create a gorgeous glow. Use a very light almost-silvery illuminator to highlight just above cheekbones, down the centre of the nose, and along the top lip line to make lips appear fuller. Don’t overdo it as it can be ageing.
Choose a foundations or tinted moisturisers that contain luminous spheres as their light reflective properties create a great glowing base. Add a dusting of bronzer, chocolate-bronze eyeshadow, peachy blush and a slick of lipgloss for a summer party look. For a more defined eye, use a brown pencil inside your eyes - and for a really glam look add a few fake lashes to the outer corners of your eyes. Gold shimmer spray applied to your décolleté or cleavage will complete the look.
3. SLEEP… ZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Try to make sleep a priority (yes, over partying!) The reason why… deep sleep is nature’s Botox! Simply because all the muscles in your face totally relax while you sleep which helps night products do their job even better. Here’s how you can ‘try’ to get a beauty-full night’s sleep ...
* Create a sleep sanctuary: Paint your bedroom a calming colour, like pale pink and keep blinds closed to keep out early-morning light.
* Avoid caffeine, alcohol and cigarettes before bed as they can trigger awakenings and fragmented sleep.
* Don’t load up on proteins or fatty foods before bed: They take extra digestion effort which will keep you awake.
* Exercise regularly – but not within four hours of bedtime. Not enough exercising can lead to sleeping difficulties.
* Wear socks to bed: If you have poor circulation this helps regulate your core temperature so you’ll easily fall to sleep.
* Wind down: Spend some time before bed actively thinking about your day and working on your to-do list for tomorrow – that way your mind isn’t racing when you hit the pillow.
* Stick to a regular sleep schedule: Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
Would love to hear your thoughts on the first in my Guest Blogger series, there'll be a bunch of cool writers doing bits and pieces for Coco Lee. Any suggestions are most welcome xxx
*top pic source: Chanel