If you’re ever strolling down Glenmore Road, don’t be surprised if you run into Montarna McDonald with her camera and notepad in hand. For when she’s not planning events as a PR maven, she’s scouring the streets and shops for the latest trends to blog to you. Her project, The Intersection, Paddington, grew out of love for her neighbourhood corner stores and has quickly become a go-to site for all the latest style news to come out of Sydney’s shopping Mecca.
For those of us who aren't familiar with you, can you tell us a bit about yourself? I work at Sweaty Betty PR, one of Australia’s largest fashion, beauty, and lifestyle PR agencies. I also write The Intersection, Paddington - a trend-based blog that is all about the home of Australia’s top fashion talent. The blog keeps readers updated on the latest stock drops, style tips and tricks as well as spilling on who's been shopping at The Intersection, Paddington and what they’ve snapped up!
Why did you start The Intersection blog? I started the blog in May 2010 as I had an absolute affinity to the area and thought it would be great to update all of the designer’s clientele on the latest the area had to offer.
Name your three go-to stores in Paddington to shop: Sass & Bide, Ksubi and Come As You Are.
What’s your #1 tip for shopping on a budget? Go for classic styles and colours opposed to patterns and trends that are only wearable for one season. Classic pieces will stand the test of time and always look chic.
What’s your fave trend for the coming warmer months? Metallics are everywhere! Just remember, one shimmering piece is all you need to ensure the look is stand-out rather than space-age! The key to nailing the look is to mix your metallics with fuss-free T-shirts, simple knits and matte, leather accessories.
What are the fashion staples you think every girl should own?
- The Dress: This season is all about color and I'm loving my cobalt blue dress from Sass & Bide. I either throw a trench over it on cooler days, or pair it with a bold necklace and high heels on a balmy summer night.
- The Shorts: Tailored shorts are the perfect spring staple. You need a style that is dressy enough to wear to work, but can be paired with a tank top for an easy weekend outfit. I’d head to Scanlan & Theodore to find a great pair.
- The Floaty Shirt: A lightweight top is key for spring; I’d opt for an Equipment silk shirt from Come As You Are to wear with shorts or a summer skirt. With the sleeves rolled up and collar open, it invokes a classic, laidback summer look.
- Pumps: Chic pumps are always great for summer and spring. Worn with shorts, cropped trousers, a dress, or rolled-up jeans, the right pair always looks fabulous.
- The Sunglasses: You can't go wrong with Ksubi’s specs. Coveted and sported by celebrities and trendsetters alike, these shades are a great summer staple.
Finally, what are your favourite fashion sites?
The Coveteur —Provides a sneak peek into the closets of fashion's tastemakers. The beautiful photos on this site have made it one of my morning must-visits.
Style.com—Love fashion full-stop? You're in luck, ‘cause this site is all about fashion, with impressive editorial features that have me coming back for more.
Stockholm Street Style—The masterpiece of creator, Caroline Blomst, this site has all the hallmarks of a hit. I love the cute comments that accompany the stunning snaps.
Adore & Addict— The best inspiration around town! I like to start my day off by scrolling through this fashionista’s collaboration of snaps from around the world.
Fashion Etc.— A super comprehensive fashion news website, this new kid on the block will soon be bookmarked by every stylish gal worth her salt.